Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Rebuke that thought!

"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."
2 Corinthians 10:5 (KJV)

Going through recovery, of any kind, is not an easy task. Add to it, Satan's desire to put anything and everything in your way to deter you, and you got yourself a calamity! To this day, Satan continues to murmur into my ear his cunning lies of victory over the cross. When I was first getting sober, I would hear Satan say, "You can't handle this. You NEED alcohol and drugs to live! You will not be able to handle your circumstances without them." But that was just a lie!!! Casting Crowns' song, "Voice of Truth," gives a clear description of the spiritual warfare that I was going through: "...the giant's calling out my name and he laughs at me, reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed. The giant keeps on telling me, time and time again..., you'll never win! BUT the Voice of Truth tells me a different story."

Satan is a conquered foe my friend! Sentence has already been passed on him (Matthew 25:41). The true battle is in our minds! Since this is so, all we must do now is remind him that he has been defeated. We take those thoughts, or shall I say, lies from Satan, captive by speaking out loud against them, as Jesus did in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11), rebuking them in Jesus' name. And then, we replace that evil thought by the truth, which is the Word of God. This too, Jesus did in the wilderness when He began to say back to Satan what the scriptures said. In the end we witness that, "the devil left Him; and angels came and began to minister to Him (vs.11)."

We have the victory through the precious blood of Jesus. We just have to TAKE authority over the lie/thought. For this, my friend, we have to stay, actively, in the Word of God. You can't remind Satan of truth if you don't learn it through reading His mighty living word (Hebrews 4:12)! Praise the Lord!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment