Friday, February 13, 2015

Debts, Credit Cards, and Tithing...OH MY Part 3

There are so many things that I want to say, but let me just start by saying that God is multifaceted.  And even now that I try to describe the fullness of what God is doing in this season, I honestly don't even think I grasp a third of it.  Nonetheless, I will share the little I perceive.

First and foremost, God settled the tithing issue.  I believe that this was the 1st phase because it is the most important!  Any financial blessing, whether it be the provision of a job, the release of one of our credit card debts, or cash gifts, among others, would be completely ineffective if faith and faithfulness in tithing was not first settled in our hearts!  That in spite of circumstances, we would tithe no matter what.  That in the face of not having, we would still pay the tithe FIRST and trust God for the rest!  And you know what's funny about that statement?  On January 30th right after I posted part 1,  I left my computer on so I can balance my accounts on my budget spreadsheet.  All of the sudden I realized I had NOT tithed BEFORE paying out all my bills.  We get paid once a month and I sit down once a month and pay all of them at once.  Some don't clear until mid-month because some are automatic withdrawals, yet in my spreadsheet they are all accounted for.  I felt my heart drop when I realized I hadn't tithed because after balancing my ledger, we only had $391 left for gas and groceries until the END of February!!!  And our tithe for this month was a little over that amount!  I made the mistake of not tithing FIRST and THEN paying all my bills!  But God's grace is sufficient and I know He knows it was an honest mistake.  Needless to say, I was left at that very moment with a decision to make.  Do I tithe, or do I make the excuse that its apparent that tithing will leave us with literally $0 for the rest of the month.  I couldn't help but think that I was being tested for my 'audacity' in posting about how I learned that tithing was a God thing!  But yes, I tithed.  Was I tempted not to? Absolutely!  But how many of you know that to be tempted is NOT a sin!  Hallelujah, Praise the Lord!  I have to be honest though,  I did have some peace in that, in December, when we had received plenty of cash gifts, I put $1000 in savings according to the Dave Ramsey plan.   I wish I could tell you that I was super bold in my tithing this month but to be frank, I had a little cushion!  Either way, this taught me something.  I will make sure that, no matter what, the very first thing that comes out of our paycheck every month will be our tithe payment.  Why??  Well because if I don't, I give opportunity to the devil to tempt me.  I know well that even in Christ, if I am weak enough on any given day, I can miss the mark.  Peter lived with Jesus for crying out loud, and when faced with potential retaliation, he denied Christ 3 times.  So who am I to think that I couldn't fall to temptation?

I tithed, and wouldn't you know...God is so super cool?!?  Christopher got an additional student plus another student to tutor three nights in a row!!!!  I got a job to clean a condo and out of the blue I got several re-orders for my home-based business!!!  In addition to that, I got an offer to rent out a property and make a commission!!!  That money will be our provision for next month!  And to top it all off, I already paid back to my savings account what I borrowed AND TODAY, two weeks into February, we have more money than the original $391 we started with!!!  How cool is that?

Phase 2 of this breakthrough had to do with my admittance that I had a problem with this spirit of poverty and under-earning.  So many things tie into this, and I don't fully understand all of it and how it manifests, but as I get healed from this I will share more.  But admitting I had a problem was a huge breakthrough in that if I still had my head in the sand about it, I would not be able to address it.  Truth is, it wasn't until I realized I had a problem that I brought it in prayer before God and before godly family & friends.  I actually believe this was a catalyst for my willingness to get rid of all my credit cards in the first place.  Admitting I had a problem made the chains more visible and I was able to see the enemy's plan more clearly.  Besides...how could God bring me any financial freedom in my debts if when I finally got out of my debts I would continue to operate in this disease of under-earning and a poverty mentality?  I would simply slip back into old patterns and be back in debt!  He is so faithful!

Phase 3 was the act of actually handing over my credit cards and strictly living off the cash we have in the bank!!! Need I say more?

Phase 4...I am learning to JUST SAY NO!  This has a lot to do with my pride.  I have had to deny financial support to missionary friends.  I have had to let my children know that we can't make so-and-so's birthday this month because we made so-and-so's birthday last month.  The same for baby showers and other events that would require we pitch in.  We have gotten extremely creative in our meals and less foo-fooey when we have guests.  But even more than that, we have learned to say, "thank you," and RECEIVE the help when it has been offered.  I think this is one of the hardest parts.  It has been a tremendously humbling experience.  But you know what????  It is a most marvelous gift because God opposes the proud but gives favor to the humble!!!

Phase 5 and beyond...that is yet to be written! This story is surely not over!!!  I have learned that this season in my life is not only about me, but about the freedom God will bring to many as a result of this testimony!  In my days of weakness this thought has brought me much peace.  When I remember that more people are at stake, for some reason, I find fresh courage to weather the storm!  God doesn't play favorites, and I'll say it again...what He did for me He will do for you too IF you let Him!!!  God is so good and His faithfulness stretches to the sky!!!

I LOVE you all so much! My heart burns for you to experience His greatness!! In this holiday of Love my prayer for you is that you would be covered in a fresh anointing of His LOVE!!!  And that His LOVE, which casts out ALL fear, would be made manifest to you in a new and very tangible way!!

Happy LOVE day to you all!  But really...in Christ, everyday is a LOVE day!

No comments:

Post a Comment